This is a project that got out of control…quickly. Grayson and I planned for a butterfly garden around our bee boxes. It started as a small garden to attract the flying critters we love and turned into a monster project. We have been collecting lots of butterfly, bee and hummingbird plants and decided we need a lot more space.
A local nursery named Gulf Coast Palm & Tree came in and helped us big time. They are truly the nicest people in the world. They took up all the sod and they’re coming back to put down the weed mat and plant 450 feet of gulf muhly grass, sandcord grass and simpson stopper trees along our fence line. While they’re working on that, Grayson and I will put the butterfly plants into the ground. I’ll post a picture of the transformation. (We’re in zone 9b.)
We picked up some monarch caterpillars over the weekend at a burrowing owl festival. We made a habitat for them out of a plastic soda bottle and an empty butter container. We filled the butter container with water and poked a hole in the middle of the cap to insert a scarlet milkweed cutting. We cut the plastic bottle along the bottom edge and used some tape to attach the two containers together. I covered the top with some cheesecloth and a rubber band.
One of the caterpillars turned into a chrysalis almost immediately after moving into his new home. We watched in amazement…caterpillar t.v.
Come grow with us!